Friday, August 22, 2008

The worms are coming!

Well, I have to confess that I definitely stole the title for this post from an article that I found here: http://www.tfl.co.uk/buses.asp - if you read it, you'll know what I mean.

I really hate riding bendy buses, though. They are just not as BAMF as double-deckers, or rather, 'Routemasters.'

Whew. Holiday Club is going very well - today is the last day, which is sad but tinged with relief. Tonight there's a barbecue at the vicarage (hahaha...hopefully not a Murder at the Vicarage) for everyone who was involved and it should be a good time.

Mission week has just gotten better each day, except perhaps in the team points competition, where my team, the Incredibles (superhero theme, remember), had an abysmal day yesterday and would have had only two points for the whole freaking day had not we gotten a few pity points from Robert (bless his heart).

But seriously, I am so glad to get the chance to connect with these kids. At girls' club in the evenings we have been doing a different craft every night, and last night we did mendi (henna) on our hands. Little Sayeda, who was on the Incredibles team for a few days, asked if she could do my hand and she did, albeit a bit sloppily and quite dark. Oh well. I think if I were too concerned about my appearance I would have changed it a long while ago into something far more bland.

That's one thing that being in London has really made me think about: how we perceive ourselves and one another. I perceive myself as a follower of Jesus, a bit brainy, overweight, slightly hyper-literate, twenty years old, an American, not high fashion, and sometimes lacking in common sense. What do people see in and about me, I wonder? What do I see in and about others? How do my snap judgments affect any sort of relationship we may have in the future? How do our habits complement or clash?

I guess London (or perhaps, a city) has brought this to the forefront because people are so much more colorful, expressive, and less concerned with keeping up with 'the norm' than they are in, say, Newaygo County Michigan. It really is inspiring - it makes me want to decide completely for myself how I dress, how I act, how I speak...instead of constantly thinking how I should.

This doesn't go without limitation, obviously, but it bears a good inner look. I have been blessed with a varied and diverse community to explore, as well!

Another thing that's been on my mind is (as cliche as this may sound) the voice of God. Being around a large Muslim community always puts one on one's guard as to what we attribute and do not attribute to God, but I am inclined to believe that God speaks much more than we give Him credit for.

For example, all this week, we have had a tent (a marquee) set up next to the flat that I'm staying at on Buxton Street. Any other structure left up for five days in such a public place would have been vandalized long ago, but ours has stood.

As the week has progressed, the boys' evening football has grown in number, and the guys running it have been able to share a bit about their lives with the boys, leading to some really great conversations.

Simply the fact that each day, a group of committed people come together to do what they can to provide a place for these kids to enjoy themselves, learn a little about Christianity, and stay out of trouble - it amazes me: the faith of these people.

What am I saying is: could not each of these phenomena - the protection of our tent, the willingness of the boys to listen, the commitment of young CCS attenders - be the voice of God in the ears of many? It may be easy to label as 'spiritualizing,' but even the most postmodern of individuals can be guilty of 'relgiousity' or 'spiritualism.' Why should those who claim to be Christ-followers neglect the same opportunity?

If you want to reply to this or tell me off, or just say hi, please write me an email. I'd love to hear from you all :)

Oh, and I think I'm going to start a pub name list...to add:
Woodin's Shades
The Nag's Head

And some interesting graffiti:
'The land of Free Dumb.'

1 comment:

Cam said...

Hear, Hear! It's good to hear your thoughts on these things, very interesting. Especially yours on self-perception/diversity/individuality (or whatever you'd call it); really encouraging, especially at the prospect of re-entering a place where it seems so many people spend themselves on keeping up a certain reputation or appearance than exploring who we are and letting that show through (myself as guilty as anyone in the previous year). Anyway, funny that you're wondering about these things, too; this summer I've been trying something similar, hoping to be a little more... myself than usual. I hope you keep exploring this, my friend! It's encouraging to know someone else is noticing the same thing.

Oh, and to the question about God's voice: why not, indeed? Though perhaps I'd be one of those postmodernists guilty of spiritualising things, since I think things like playing an instrument or reading a book or... well, really anything can be a spiritual experience.

Oh, bother, all that to say huzzah!
And hello, of course :)