Friday, September 12, 2008

Ridiculous (let's STOP using that word)

Another week in London town, and some remarkable things:

1. A pub called "World's End." Yes. Like 'Pirates 3.' Ridiculous.

2. Officially have gotten on two wrong buses this week. Ridiculous.

3. Have no one to go learn Scottish country dancing with on Sunday. Ridiculous!

4. Have discovered that 'Iceland' is a budget grocery chain over here. Ridiculously AWESOME.

5. Broke fast w/a Muslim family yesterday - Ifta, the meal is called. There is a TV countdown like new year's eve, except this one is for 7:30 PM when they can officially break fast. Rediculously delicious food, but difficult to eat w/my hands, as I haven't done that for a while. Alice was tying to surreptitiously give me pointers, for which i was very grateful.

6. So apparently Michael Buble and Chris Martin own the world, because I cannot escape them! Not that I particularly mind...

At any rate, this week was my first at Limehouse Youth Centre, which is part of City Gateway. It's a good 50 minute walk down Commercial Road, but it takes practically that long (maybe 5 to 10 minutes less) to get there by bus b/c of the congested route/waiting for the bus...so I think I might make a habit of walking it whenever time and daylight permit, because I like the exercise. This week has been mostly calling for the door-knocking program and running the evening youth club, which varies from night to night.

At Christ Church this week, I sang with Alice for the lunchtime service on Tuesday, which was pretty great. Rod and Andy are starting a short series on 'the world we all want,' which I am just HOPING will somehow include the concept/word of a 'metanarrative,' a true blue Papa Shea-ism. On Thursday, I finished the flyer and handouts for the Kids' club that starts up after Ramadan, assisted with the afternoon assembly at the school (I'm planning the one for next week, which is all about interdependency with creation - any ideas, anyone?), and went visiting around the estates.

Met with Carol Rider at the school and am due to start Monday morning there volunteering as a TA to get to know the kids a bit better. I'll probably be with year 4s, 5s, because of a family that's just come from Bangladeshi with no English needing one of the ladies who is fluent in Siletti to be with them pretty much constantly. Such a hard transition!

Anyways, today was my day off and it was mostly spent wandering around Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. No one at Speakers' Corner (sadness), got kicked out of a lawn chair (you have to pay for them by the hour!), got a bit lost near the Serpentine, eventually found Peter Pan and the sunken gardens. Then I went to Harrods and marveled at the fact that anyone could charge 650 pounds for a blouse, chilled out in the Egyptian elevator (amazing!) and then went to Camden to get lost and choke on all the incense.

Tomorrow, who knows? I hope to get up early to run and then plan the day from there. Greenwich, perhaps.

No comments: