Well, I have certainly been remiss in my updating of this blog! This past week or so has been quite busy, as I have finally (mostly) established a schedule at the school, at City Gateway, and at the church. Just a few things to update on, I guess!
1- I love Thursdays. Really. This might be because I am most comfortable at Christ Church (of anyplace around here), but I love getting up for early morning prayer-song-bible discussion, I love brainstorming for kids' club and assembly, going visiting, cherishing lunchtime and teatime, knowing that all I have to wake up to is a great morning in the school and an afternoon off...
2- Ugh. I think I'm getting an illness parallel to the "I want to be at Houghton but not do schoolwork at Houghton"...except with the title "I want to be here working in London but not having to write papers about this unless they count as free journalling, and even that I'm not too keen on." Too bad neither of those illness-names will ever be clinically trustworthy; instead, I have a common cold and there is no chicken noodle soup in sight. Sainsbury's? If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my (culinary) trends...
3- Living in reality is hard sometimes, especially with a lingering case of culture shock. As much as I try to avoid the "little erin in the big city" wide-eyed innocence, it's somewhat inevitable...and indubitably frustrating! I think to escape this, I daydream when I ride the bus. This is good, except when it leads to afternoons of writing that lead nowhere near a handing-in-worthy essay.
4- Church vision day was Saturday; apparently, in my short afternoon jaunt to take Ben and Rachel to the park (I love those kids!), I missed Andy's attempt to embarass me...thank goodness :) I may have said this before, but it bears repeating: being here really helps to restore my faith in the church as an institution. Most who will read this know the doubts I have about organized Christianity - or organized religion in general - and its ability to do anything really good and effective in society. I guess I have long preferred to call 'faith' doing what I can in the situations I end up in to honor Jesus with my decisions.
But that's rather individualistic, no? And people by themselves can only be effective to a certain degree! I heard recently that Margaret Thatcher can be quoted in saying, "there is no community; there is only the individual." Even from a completely secular point of view in which I often find myself and my influences, how can that be true?
At any rate, being around a church that is active and passionate is contagious, and I love it. I only hope that I can honestly mature through what I do here.
5- Fall is here. Or Autumn, if you prefer. And it's lovely. I savor the chill in the air, even though I know that I'll probably first glimpse snow when I set down on the tarmac in GR on the 9th of December :)
There's much more I'd love to update you about, and will hopefully do so soon. Please badger me if you care to do so!
Much love-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment