Thursday, September 4, 2008

O my heart I would dance and clap in place

You know how it is when you discover music that you haven't heard in a long time and really remember why you loved it in the first place? Or maybe it's not just music - but pursuits, activities, time-wasting devices, or even good friends. I feel like this past week has encompassed several of these moments of 'coming back.'

Item no. 1: Finally, some sort of plan is coming into formation for what I'll I'm doing while here. It's been so nice to be having time to get school work done and explore London these past two weeks, but I was very ready to have a more scheduled time! Below is my 'prospective week'

Monday: morning @ the school or off, afternoon-evening at City Gateway
Tuesday: morning at Christ Church/staff stuff, afternoon-evening at CG
Wednesday: same as Monday
Thursday: all day at CCS
Friday: morning & afternoon off, after school/evening at school
Saturday: morning w/ CCS kids club, afternoon/evening off
Sunday: rest!

I'm so excited! I made myself a diary today - here, a diary is a datebook - out of a recycled notebook that Lisa-Raine gave me. It will be nice to be slightly more organized :)

Oh, but I'm so happy to have met with people at City Gateway and the school - I only hope that I can be helpful in both areas to a sufficient degree!

Item no. 2: Tuesday night I went to Forum, one of the missional communities at CCS devoted to the art-world around here, and i must say that the discussion was fantastic; challenging, far-out-there, and absolutely wonderful. It was 'grill a clergyman' night, and so Rob did his best to stand up to our questions about the universe. Oh, but it was wonderful to have some truly challenging intellectual discussion!! I feel like I could just be an academic forever...well, that's somewhat false. I'd have to be an intellectual on the side, only, having neither the resources, motivation, nor calling to stay in academia forever.

Item no.3: Today I sort of rediscovered Sufjan Stevens, and am currently rather surprised how much I really love his music!

Item no. 4: Sunday I moved in with Will and Hannah Spiring, and their two children, Ben and Rachel. It's been so long since I've been around a 'family and children' that the rhythm that a family has to live its life in is blessed, comforting, slightly chaotic, and I love it. They're graciously allowing me to live in their loft for the remainder of my time here (who but amazing people have houseguests for months at a time, is what I am), and I've set up a little study station up here to read, write journals and essays, and generally enjoy the beautiful windows and soft glow of lamps by which to write.

This weekend should be relatively slow, but in a good way. I think I'll bop down to the west end to catch a cheap show, perhaps. Speaking of which, the Lorca play "Blood Wedding" was phenomenal beyond description and I didn't want it to end! Oh, I do love Lorca. Why did he only write 3 plays???

No comments: